I am no stranger to the word "bitch". I use it in casual conversation, mainly because my vocabulary is littered with cuss words (sorry, Mom). I've been called bitch on a handful of occasions, seriously and playfully. When someone looks you directly in the face and calls you a bitch, it's not very nice. I get a heavy, sick feeling in my stomach and immediately regret whatever I had done or said to deserve that comment. But why am I so afraid to be called a bitch?
Most recently the most recognizable situation I've gotten myself into, where I continually worry if I'll be considered a bitch was when I broke up with my boyfriend. I recall saying the exact words, "Sorry, I'm being a bitch right now, but I need to do what's best for me." First of all, why was I apologizing? Does going through a natural process of a break-up make me a bitch? Lastly, why should I care if something considers me a bitch in that situation?
A ContentFac article says it best, "As women, our fear of the dreaded bitch label is so strong and so pervasive that it affects our behavior in ways we don't even recognize. It alters the way we communicate, how we speak and how we're treated."
I'm frustrated with being afraid of being called a bitch. I'm frustrated with holding myself back because of that fear. I'm assertive, I'm confident, and I know what I want. I shouldn't need to apologize for saying exactly how I feel or hold myself back from asserting myself.
I think it's time for us to reclaim, and reclaim the word "bitch". Oh, and don't worry, you don't have to be a bad ass bitch all by yourself.
“Bitches get stuff done.” – Tina Fey
“Just because I have my standards, they think I'm a bitch.”
– Diana Ross
Nicki Minaj
“I’m tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, OK.” - Madonna
and my favorite.

I wholeheartedly agree! Thanks for posting this!
ReplyDeletexx
Lauren Elizabeth
Petite in Pearls
Great post! I feel like they're are 2 schools of thought...those who worry that being strong and opinionated with make them be labeled a bitch ( I probably fit in here) and then those women who wear the bitch label with pride and sort of develop their personality around it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Lauren.
ReplyDeleteHaha for sure.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely.
ReplyDeleteI agree with RBG. I'd rather be a bitch than any number of other terms, including mouse, weak, timid, doormat...
ReplyDeleteYes, me too.
ReplyDeleteGet it, girl.
ReplyDelete*slow clap* yesssss girl. Women have got to get over this!!
ReplyDeleteSooo true! I definitely agree with you!
ReplyDeleteI am a female attorney who went to a catholic girl school - the word is practically second nature at this point. There are worse things I can be called lol
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post and I couldn't agree more!
ReplyDeletelol I don't care if I do get called a bitch because majority of my friends know including family that I'm a bitch when I need to be.
ReplyDeleteI freaking love this post! YES YES and YES!
ReplyDeleteI love this! I hadn't really recognized that we have such a strong fear of the word (or mostly, the idea of) "bitch." We should speak our minds! I never thought I'd find myself in so much agreement with Nicki Minaj.
ReplyDeleteAmen, sister! I've only been called a bitch (to my face) once. I was working at a gym and we had corporate rates for certain business. A grown man came in and I offered him the best rate which was the corporate rate. Apparently he thought he was some big shot who deserved an even better deal and when I told him that was the best I could do, he called me a bitch and stormed out lol how embarrassing for him! We definitely shouldn't live our lives in fear of some label.
ReplyDeleteIt has taken me a lot of years to get to the point where I know when I am doing what's best for me it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. My ex husband thinks I am the biggest bitch in the world... and I don't care. You have to have a little bitch in ya to survive!!!
ReplyDeleteLove this! I get called a bitch on the regular. I now take it as a compliment.
ReplyDeleteI feel like all I constantly hear is you can't say that or don't do this, because it is, blah blah blah. I am sick and tired of being dumbed down to have no emotion or else... If I am mad you will know it. If I am sad I will show it! Thank you for this post! It is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHAHA yes!
ReplyDeleteHaha thanks Allison!
ReplyDeleteSometimes you just gotta do it.
ReplyDeleteThanks Tiara. That means a lot.
ReplyDeleteThanks Emily!
ReplyDeleteHa I'm sure!
ReplyDeleteSlow claps all around.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely, Amy!
ReplyDeleteExactly, especially when that term is thrown around so easily.
ReplyDeleteMe neither, but she's totally right.
ReplyDeleteAgreed! Thanks for stopping by.
ReplyDeletehaha I'm still working on it.
ReplyDeleteAMEN!
ReplyDeletehaha Thanks Katy!
ReplyDeleteSay it Girl! I do not curse, but I know for sure some people think i am a "witch" but I do not care. I am a girl with a plan. I do not play dirty, but I am sassy sometimes and when I am very passionate about something, I may come off as aggressive. I LOVE this post!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jess :)
ReplyDelete