Energizing Your Morning Routine

Disclosure: I received this product for free in exchange for an honest review through BrandBacker. All opinions are my own.


Energizing your morning routine

I don't know about you guys but between long weekends, snow days, Superbowl Sundays, and pitch-dark mornings, I've been having such a hard time getting up and going in the mornings! I'm honestly more of a morning person but these past few months have really made me question that!

So I've really had to go back to the basics of what makes my morning routines successful and start fresh! Of course, there is no "right" morning routine for everyone, but these few basics are what really help me to be motivated and energized for the day ahead of me!

Start with a glass of water


Hydration is everything. I know it sounds like bull sometimes, but it really helps! You can keep a water bottle right on your bedside table, so right in the morning you can wake-up, reach over, and hydrate right away. Your skin will thank you!

Energizing your Morning Routine

Make a list of what needs to be done


I'm an avid list maker. I have lists all over my desk, my planner, in my iPhone. However, even if you're not a list maker you should make a list of things you have to do. It's so easy to think of something in the evening and then completely forget you have to do it the next morning. My typical morning list goes along the lines of: Drink water, walk the dog, take a shower, do hair and make-up, prep lunch, go to work, read the Skimm, workout, walk the dog, cook dinner, read before bed.

Unfortunately, that's the typical! It sounds daunting but it is super nice to check things off your list! Even if you always walk the dog, write-it down. Then you can scratch it off and that's one thing already accomplished for your day!

You should also add in the small things that vary day-by-day. Like mailing a gift swap to someone, making a spare key for your dog sitter, or more.

Get moving


Even though I'm not a huge fan of the morning workouts because I often feel woozy if I don't eat before and if I do eat right before I workout I feel too full to do aerobics, I still love morning activity. I never noticed how much of a difference it made until I adopted Starla. Walking her 15-30 minutes every morning gets my heart rate up a bit higher and what really does it for me is the fresh air! No coffee can wake you up like some fresh air and a walk can. (and if you do find that kind of coffee, you should send me some!)

Dog Walk

Freshen Up


I know a lot of people like showering at night because it gives them more time in the mornings to sleep in, check emails, etc. However I'm a huge proponent for showers in the morning! I love it because I feel fresh and like a brand-new person every morning! Even if you don't want to take the time to hop in the shower every morning, take the time for a good face wash. I use OZ Naturals Ocean Mineral Cleanser. This stuff is good! You barely have to use any product for it to totally cleanse your face. I started using it about a month ago and haven't had one pimple since.

OZ naturals face wash

Use some tools to help promote a good morning routine


In the lovely age of apps, there are so, so many tools that can help you!

  • Wake Alarm Clock. Allows you to change how long you snooze your alarm (iPhone snoozes in 9 minute intervals which is way too long for me!) and how you turn off your alarm.

  • Blogilates. If you don't have a doggy to walk in the mornings like I do, Cassey has some great short workouts that you can do anywhere!

  • Wunderlist. The best list app that makes it easy for you to check off tasks, categorize tasks, and share them with others too!

  • The Skimm. Wake up with the best news in short, sassy spurts.

  • Affirmation iPhone backgrounds. My iPhone's background says "Wild, Beautiful and Free." I love looking at it every morning.


Case App Phone Case Review

There are a lot of different things that go into making your morning into the best day! Getting back on my routine has entirely changed my attitude when I get into work. It's definitely a work in progress but it’s all about the journey to becoming the better person I strive to be.

Energizing your morning routine

Are you a morning person? How do you like to start your day?


41 comments

  1. I love this post! I'm an night owl all the way so I'm always looking for ways to perk up in the A.M.! x Natalie www.thegirlwithbangs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! A morning workout is the best! And I love the Skimm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such great suggestions, Alanna! Particularly the one about using tools to help promote a good morning routine. Emma has an alarm clock that gets gradually lighter before the alarm goes off! It's great! JW wrote about her morning routine over on OUR blog today! http://emma-and-jw.com/how-to-create-a-lasting-morning-routine/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been dragging in the morning! I need to get back to moving more when I first wake up instead of going right to the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't the Skimm the best?? I love reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your post! What a coincidence. That's a good alarm clock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It honestly makes a great difference in my morning routine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such good tips! I'm an afternoon/evening shower-er, but I do wash my face in the morning, especially after a workout. (I don't sweat when I do yoga & strength-training).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coffee and a to do list usually help me in the mornings! Though I probably should start having some water before my coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your idea to "get moving" in the morning with a walk - I'm anxious for the weather to warm up a bit because I love popping my boys in the stroller for AM walks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! The hardest thing for me each morning is to get moving. I know how important it is but I hate mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great tips! I'm definitely an early bird but maybe I should so these tips to my husband. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heather Gullett DennistonFebruary 16, 2016 at 7:02 AM

    Such great suggestions here! I didn't know about the mini news app and the list writing one. I am a major list writer!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely a morning person and sleeping with my blinds slightly open has really helped. Instead of waking up to an alarm in a dark room I usually get woken up by my room growing brighter. Then I burn my eyes by scrolling through Instagram before I've even fully opened them

    ReplyDelete
  15. Getting moving is probably the hardest part of my day. I've recently been trying to learn my sleep cycles and hoping to gain a little energy from sleeping correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE those phone wallpapers, but I couldn't figure out how to download them...all great ideas

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm totally getting anxious about warmer weather too. I'm itching for a good outdoor bike ride.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coffee is a must for these colder days though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lucky you! I don't sweat during yoga but anything else in the gym I ALWAYS

    ReplyDelete
  20. Once you incorporate it into your routine, it gets so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a great tip! I definitely burnt my eyes this morning looking at the OPM status on my email the second my alarm went off.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you have a fitbit or something to track your sleep? My fitbit has been so helpful in helping me to learn how I sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you go to the sites that I pinned them from, you can find links to download them all!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am a total early bird, and even so, I need a lot of these to get me going. I always chug a glass of water when I first wake up, and if I'm not going to take a shower, I at least wash my face. It helps me feel more refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great tips, Alanna! I'm trying so hard to drink more water. It's always so difficult for me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post! I am one of those weird people that likes to stay up late AND wake up early. I find I'm most energized between 7am-11:30am and then I pick up again around 6:30 until bed time (weird I know)

    So many of these are really important for getting up in the morning! Hydrating right away, a refreshing shower, get your heart moving (even just stretching if you can't work out) are my morning go tos!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A glass of water in the morning is a must for me. The air in my house is so dry lately from the central heat that my throat feels super dry when I wake up.
    PS- Your photos weren't working for me (I'm on Safari on a Macbook) unless I hover over where they should be. Not sure if it's me or something going on on your end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really need to get better about drinking water in the morning. It has so many benefits. I drink it throughout the day, but the mornings are key.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this post!! I really struggle with getting up in the morning - waking up isn't usually too much of an issue but getting up (especially on days off or where I don't have any time restraints) is so hard! I need to try some of these things more!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the idea of affirmation iPhone backgrounds! I'm in dire need of a new, refreshed one! Looking for one now :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's a struggle for me too. I'm bad because I like soda and lattes, so I'm often drinking those instead of water.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Exactly. It's crazy how much washing your face can be invigorating.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hmm. Okay thanks for the heads up. I'll check into that.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Stretching in the morning always feels so great!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Check out my Pinterest board for some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks, Adriana! I hope some of these tips help you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. A morning workout is AMAAAAAZING to start the day!! I add lemon to my morning water because I heard somewhere along the line that that's super healthy and anti-oxidant rich. I'd recommend! <3

    Coming Up Roses

    ReplyDelete
  38. I always try to add lemons to my water, I keep a bag of them at my desk at work.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top